Astros' Jose Altuve would participate in another WBC

Astros' Jose Altuve would participate in another WBC

pickard
WEST PALM BEACH https://www.diamondbacksstore.com/Chris_Owings_Authentic_Jersey-50, Fla. - Upon his return to Astros' camp on Monday, Jose Altuve raved about his experience in the World Baseball Classic.Altuve and Team Venezuela were eliminated from the WBC on Saturday. The Astros' star second baseman returned to West Palm Beach from San Diego on Sunday and was back in the team's Grapefruit League lineup for Monday night's game against the St. Louis Cardinals.    "It was great. If I have the chance to do it again I definitely will do it because of the guys that I played with," Altuve said."I lived one of my coolest experiences playing with those guys, with Miguel Cabrera, Carlos Gonzalez, Martin Prado, Felix Hernandez, Ender Inciarte, I mean all those guys who are like really good. We didn't win the tournament (and) that was the goal, but I think we were really happy with the time we spent with each other."        Altuve batted .259 (7 for 27) with no extra-base hits in his first WBC. The four-time All Star was benched by Venezuela manager Omar Vizquel in favor of Rougned Odor for the March 13 elimination game against Italy and moved to third base while Odor played second base in two of the team's three second-round games.            "I did what I did for my teammates," Altuve said. "If I sat on the bench or if I played third or whatever, it was because of my teammates. They were playing really hard, they were playing 100 percent and because of the great group of guys that we had they deserved (me doing that for the team)."Altuve said he wants to play as much as possible over the Astros' final nine Grapefruit League games as he readies for the regular season. The reigning AL batting champ was only 1 for 12 at the plate before he left Florida a couple weeks ago to join Team Venezuela.        "This is the time of year where you're still trying to figure it out," he said. "Even last year I started the season and my swing was still a little bit in front, sometimes late. But it's a long season... You have time to adjust."Odds ends- Charlie Morton will start Friday against the Mets and Lance McCullers will start Saturday against the Nationals.- Preston Tucker played Monday in his first game since he underwent shoulder surgery in September. Tucker had three plate appearances in one of the Astros' minor league games https://www.diamondbacksstore.com/Jake_Barrett_Replica_Jersey-208. He flew out to right field, flew out to center field and drew a four-pitch walk. The team still hopes he can work his way into Grapefruit League action before camp breaks on March 29.- Relief pitchers Will Harris and Tony Sipp will make their next appearances in minor league games. Available innings are becoming fewer and according to Hinch the team wants to see in the major league games players competing for bullpen jobs like James Hoyt and Jandel Gustave or those who figure to serve as Class AAA depth.- Joe Musgrove needed only 59 pitches to complete five innings Monday night against the St. Louis Cardinals, his only blemish a two-run home run he allowed to Jose Martinez. The 24-year-old righthander has a 2.65 ERA through 17 Grapefruit League innings.- Summoned from minor league camp Monday for a second time, outfield prospect Kyle Tucker struck out on 97 mph heat from St. Louis' Trevor Rosenthal in his only plate appearance in the game.- The Astros gave up 12 unanswered runs in their 12-6 loss to the Cardinals on Monday night. Framber Valdez and Tyson Perez were each charged with four runs allowed https://www.diamondbacksstore.com/Curt_Schilling_Whitecapri_Jersey-70.